Editor’s note: The following article originally appeared in Credit Today, the leading publication for the credit professional, a CMA Partner. Click here for Special CMA Member $10 Trial!
By Peggy Morrow
Do you have what it takes to succeed in the ever-changing business environment? Here are a few behaviors and characteristics I have noticed in successful people. How do you rate?
1. You have the ability to juggle multiple assignments. It seems as if everyone has too much to do today. It is important to prioritize duties and negotiate with the people who assign you projects. Spend some time brushing up on your time management skills.
2. You keep learning and growing in your knowledge of new technologies. The better you are at using new technologies, the more successful you will be.
3. You demonstrate an ability to adapt to change. I feel we are experiencing a cataclysmic time of change and it is not going to go away or slow down. Develop more flexibility by exposing yourself to new interests and taking more risks. Organizations want people who can quickly adapt to the whirlwind of change going on in the world.
4. You push yourself out of your comfort zone by deliberately changing your routines. Make it a point to reach out to people who are different than you. Go to lunch with different people than the usual gang. Even something as simple as changing your normal route home can make you more adaptable to change. Learn something new. Get out of your rut.
5. You are an exceptional communicator. Polish your presentation skills, writing ability, and personal appearance. Remember these channels of communication–your words, tone of voice, body language, and image. Are they all sending the same message that you are a competent professional?
6. You get along with your co-workers. Surprise! Not everyone is easy to work with. Compliment your co-workers on their work, let your work habits be a model to others, and stop criticizing others.
How did you do? Pick one you think you could improve and start working on it.
Peggy Morrow, CSP, is a professional speaker, seminar leader and author of the recently-released book, “Customer Service: How To Do It Right!” To have her work with your group call (281) 280-8190 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This article originally appeared in Credit Today, the leading publication for the credit professional.
Click here for Special CMA Member $10 Trial!