Like many people, I’ve been watching the World Cup soccer matches (time permitting). For whatever reason, I’ve been trying to draw insights from the competitions that are applicable to the workplace. Here are a few I’ve come up with:
- It pays to be a winner
- Teamwork is critical to your success…
- …So is having a good game plan
- Don’t become overly reliant on your star performers
- Even the most unlikely members of the team can become superstars
- Inappropriate behavior can result in red cards [or pink slips]
- We have to think more globally
- The best teams have the best coaches
- Winning is always a team effort
- Sometimes, it pays to be aggressive
In sport or at work, there are many things you can accomplish if you remember this: everyone on the team has the same GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL.
How do you choose to manage your team? As always, I welcome your feedback.
Michael is the author of the Encyclopedia of Credit (www.encyclopediaofcredit.com), a free, fast, internet resource for credit and collection professionals. He is a consultant, and the author of “Credit and Collection Forms and Procedures Manual” as well as a frequent instructor at CMA-sponsored educational events. He can be contacted at 949-584-9685.