CMA Poll Results – How Many Years In Business Credit?

Click to Enlarge

With 424 responses this months CMA Poll has the highest response rate and comment rate of any poll we have published. 53% of the respondents have been in business credit over 20 years.

How many years have you been in business credit?

• Almost 2 years 2% 10 votes
  • 2 plus to 5 years 6% 25 votes
  • 5 plus to 12 years 15% 64 votes
  • 12 plus to 20 years 23% 98 votes
  • 20 plus to 30 years 33% 140 votes
  • 30 plus years 20% 83 votes
  • Other 1% 4 votes

Poll Comments

• Thomas – 4 weeks ago

lmao, Not too many old Credit Managers.

• F. Scott Wilson – 4 weeks agoThis is interesting. Nearly two-thirds of the respondents so far have more than twenty years’ experience in credit, and a scant 5% have five or fewer years under their belts. It sounds like our profession could use some active recruitment of beginners, who will eventually get the experience to follow in our footsteps. Twenty years of experience, assuming you didn’t get into credit right after high school, is right around the mid-point of a career, just about halfway to retirement, and it looks like there isn’t a lot of bench behind us….

• Deb – 4 weeks ago

Thomas, Thomas, Thomas…that’s because only the good die young! I agree with F. Scott Wilson though. It’s an unusual bred who can be successful long term here at least with construction credit as the burnout rate with the last couple of years is pretty high! I’m always encouraging my folks to attend the seminars and/or webinars (or any other ‘inars ) 🙂 as well as take some business law classes if they don’t have that as part of their education. You can not be too well informed and today’s successful credit manager has to be a coach for their customer base as well. The better informed and educated we can make our customers, the smoother our job becomes.

• Will – 4 weeks ago

Very interesting indeed .. wondering what the results will be for years of service with the current employer.

• Lee Clutter, CBA – 2 weeks ago

I have been in the Credit Biz for 34 years. Very few of us dreamed of becoming a Credit Professional when we started working. Our unique characteristics (both +and -), our business ethics and our ability to work with all sorts of people resulted in a “win-win” for Sales and “on time cash” for the Company (collection efforts/DSO/Percentage Current).

Will, I have been at SMART for 7 years.

• Jackie – 2 weeks ago

Never thought I would be in credit and here I am 8 years later. I am still happy with this field and starting my further education so I can continue in this field

• Paul – 2 weeks ago

I think the poll didn’t reach enough people doing actual collections, AR and credit analysis. My guess is that mostly managers received the poll, which skews the results. I have 30+ years experience and 13 with my current company.

• jules – 2 weeks ago

I have been in credit for 30 years and I love it. I have been with the same employer as well. Times have changed, technology has gotten better every year, and it makes our jobs so much easier these days. It sure beats the old days, we used to add up a green bar report to get a total past due list then type it on a typewriter.
    Never a dull moment, and I have the best staff anyone could ask for. I am a lucky dog.

• Dina Amadril – 2 weeks ago

Hi Paul – We sent this poll to all users on anscers.com which generally includes more than the manager at the company.

Not all CMA members have multiple users on anscers so we are going to have a skew in the results anyway – but the way we see them coming in there are not too many new (under 5 years) to credit.

• Ralph – 2 weeks ago

I find that there aren’t as many opportunities in Credit & Collections as in the past. Technology most likely plays a roll as it allows each of us to do more than in the past. My own experience is that our profession is not as valued or respected as it was in the past. Protecting assets and reducing losses isn’t as important as posting revenue at any cost and rationalizing the losses. This is the same mindset that caused the housing debacle and has led to the current state of the economy… And it doesn’t appear that any lessons have been learned!

• Roy K. Carpenter – 2 weeks ago

Looks like it’s time to start hiring again.

• Steve S – 2 weeks ago

I’m not jumping to the conclusion that not many new people are in credit based on this survey. It may suggest not many new managers as these emails typically go to a select/narrow view which are primarily managers and manager in most fields typically require experience.

• Brenda H. – 2 weeks ago

I agree with Ralph, I have a GM who won’t write off debt that is even 5 years old. I guess he wants the company to keep paying taxes on revenue that we will never collect. I have been in collections for 19 years and I have never worked for a company who won’t write off debt that you have exausted all sorces to locate people and companies that have gone out of business and / or you can not locate. It is fustrating and rediculas, but I can’t get him to change his mind…

Enhanced by Zemanta

One Reply to “CMA Poll Results – How Many Years In Business Credit?”

1. Where are the new leaders for Credit industry, we only have 8% of those who responded have been in less than 6 years, who is going to take over in 10 to 15 years when 56% of the professionals retire.